This is one of our favourite, go-to, midweek Vegetarian dishes. Enjoy!
Butternut Squash, Pear, Wild Mushroom & Sage Risotto
50g unsalted butter
1 clove chopped garlic
50g chopped onion
75g cleaned prepared wild mushrooms
100g small diced butternut squash (skin removed)
2 crushed amaretti biscuits crushed
100g carnaroli rice
1 ripe conference pear
100ml dry white wine
25g grated fresh parmesan cheese
500ml vegetable stock
1 tsp. fresh shredded sage
1. Melt 25g of the unsalted butter in a good quality heavy based pan.
2. Add the chopped onion and a pinch of salt and cook gently for approx 2 minutes.
3 Add the diced butternut squash and continue to cook over a low heat.
4. Add the rice and cook for 2 minutes or until the rice goes transparent.
5. Add the dry white wine and continue to cook until the wine has completely evaporated.
6. Start adding the warm vegetable stock a little at a time, allowing the rice too absorb it each time.
7. Stir continuously while adding the stock and simmer for approx 20 minutes. The risotto should now have the look of a rice pudding consistency. Take of the heat and allow to stand.
8. Peel the pear and cut into four equal wedges, remove the pips and cut the pear into slices at an angle.
9. Pan fry the wild mushrooms and garlic over a high heat in a little oil and drain onto kitchen paper.
10. Add the grated Parmesan to the warm risotto and stir through and then remove the risotto from the heat. Add the remaining butter in small pieces and stir until it is well emulsified into the risotto and it has a nice creamy consistency. Taste and add more seasoning if required.
11. Serve immediately into bowls and top with a scattering of cooked wild mushrooms, sliced pear, crushed amaretti biscuits, shredded sage and shaved Parmesan to garnish.