Tomato & Chorizo Sauce
• ½ Medium sized chopped onion
• 400g vine tomatoes
• 50g cherry tomatoes
• 2 tbsp. organic tinned tomatoes
• 1 clove finely chopped garlic
• 30g diced chorizo sausage
• A pinch mixed dried herbs
• Olive oil
1. Prepare the tomatoes first by placing a criss cross in the top of the tomato with a sharp knife and plunging into boiling water for approx 15 seconds until you see the skin coming away. Place immediately into cold water and remove all the tomato skins. Leave the cherry tomatoes whole and cut the vine tomatoes into quarters removing all the seeds.
2. Sweat the onion slowly in olive oil for approx 2 minutes until softened and add the dried herbs and diced chorizo.
3. Add all the tomatoes and garlic to the pan and bring to a gentle simmer.
4. Cook over a low flame stirring regularly for approx 45 minutes or until the tomato sauce has reduced, thickened and has an intense flavour of tomatoes.
5. If not using straight away allow to cool and refrigerate.
Stuffed Baby Squid
• 2 small squid
• 50g white crab meat
• 50g brown crab meat
• 6 raw tiger prawns
• 2 tbsp. coarsely chopped toasted pine nuts
• Juice & zest of 1 lemon
• 1 tsp. chopped flat parsley
• Olive oil
• Salt & pepper
1. Prepare the squid by removing the insides and tentacles. Skin the squid tube to remove the thin membrane and clean well (see demo).
2. Remove the heads and peel the prawns. Remove the intestinal track and finely chop (see demo).
3. Mix together the two crab meats, prawns, lemon juice and zest, chopped pine nuts, seasoning and flat parsley.
4. Stuff the crab mixture inside the squid tubes until 2/3 full and then secure the end with two cocktail sticks to stop the crab falling out.
5. Rub a little olive oil over the stuffed squid and season with sea salt.
6. Pre heat a cast iron griddle pan until smoking hot. Place the squid on the griddle pan for approx 1 minute on each side.
7. Place in a pan or ovenproof dish on top of a little tomato sauce and cover with tin foil.
8. Bake for 6 to 8 minutes at 220°C and serve with deep fried parsley to garnish