Spanish food is renowned worldwide. It’s so well regarded, in fact, that it’s the reason many visit this Mediterranean slice of paradise in the first place. As part of Villa Plus Eat Like a Local series, we’ve decided to home in on the splendours of Spain’s cuisine like you’ve never seen before.
For the meatballs
- 2 small shallots diced
- ½ tsp. smoked paprika
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 tbsp. sherry vinegar
- 25g fresh breadcrumbs
- 150g pork mince
- 1 egg yolk
For the sauce
- 2 small cooking chorizo
- 150g squid (cut into rings or sliced)
- 50ml white wine
- 150g tinned chopped tomato
- 150g fresh clams
- 1 clove of garlic sliced
- 2 tbsp. chopped flat leaf parsley
- Sweat the shallots in some olive oil until soft, add in the paprika and continue to sweat for a few seconds. Add the crushed garlic and sherry vinegar and cook over a low heat for 1 minute.
- Mix the shallots with the breadcrumbs and allow to cool for a moment.
- Mix the pork mince and egg yolk with the breadcrumb mixture and season with salt and pepper.
- Mold the pork mixture into 9 small meatballs.
- Gently pan fry the pork balls in olive oil until golden brown remove from the pan and set to one side.
- In the same pan sweat the mini chorizo with the sliced garlic for 1 minute and add prepared squid cook on a high heat for about 30 seconds. Add the white wine and de-glaze using a wooden spoon, reduce the wine by half.
- Add in the tomatoes and bring to a simmer. Stir in the fresh clams and cover until the clams are open fully (discard any unopened clams).
- Season with salt and pepper, place into a serving dish and garnish with freshly chopped parsley