This classic British side dish is well worth the effort, with a simple cheese sauce over fresh cauliflower florets all roasted to a delicious golden brown colour. Why not make your own mark on this classic by adding your own choice of cheeses to the sauces.
PREP: 20 min
- 200g Cauliflower florets
- 250ml Milk
- 20g Unsalted Butter
- 20g Plain Flour
- 25g Mature Cheddar Cheese
- 1 Tsp English Mustard
- Salt & Pepper
- Place the cauliflower florets into boiling salted water and cook for approx 4 to 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is just cooked. Drain and allow the steam to evaporate.
- Melt the butter in a heavy based pan.
- Add the flour and mix well, cooking for a few minutes.
- Gradually add the warmed milk stirring constantly until the sauce is smooth.
- Simmer for approx 2 minutes.
- Add the grated cheese and mustard and leave to melt.
- Season with salt and pepper and pour on top of cauliflower.
- Place the cauliflower into an ovenproof dish and pour over the cheese sauce.
- Top with a little more grated cheddar cheese and bake in the over at 200°c for 15 minutes.
- Assemble the cauliflower cheese the day before and then bake in the oven on Christmas Day for 15 mins until golden brown.
- Always add hot milk to a roux so that you achieve a smooth cheese sauce.
Perfect Christmas Dinner Videos
- Planning your Christmas Meal
- Main Courses
- Side Dishes