As a vegetarian option, this nut roast mix is a great accompaniment to the meal providing lots of flavour and texture from mixed nuts, onions, tomatoes and cheese, keeping it nice and moist to contrast your other vegetable side dishes.
Serves: 4 Prep: 40 mins Cook: 40 mins
- 100g breadcrumbs
- 200g mixed crushed nuts (hazelnuts, chestnuts, almonds, pecan, walnuts, peanuts, pistachio, brazil nuts)
- 300ml vegetable stock
- 1 tsp. mixed dried herbs
- 1 white onion (diced)
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tomatoes (sliced)
- 100g cheddar cheese (grated)
- Gently fry the chopped onion and garlic for 2 minutes and then leave to cool.
- Boil together the stock and mixed dried herbs.
- Roughly crush the nuts in a pestle and mortar.
- In a large mixing bowl combine together the crushed nuts, stock mix, cooked onions and garlic and the breadcrumbs.
- Mix well and add a little salt and pepper.
- Line a loaf tin with a sheet of silicon paper and place in half of the nut roast mix, place in a layer of sliced tomatoes and grated cheese and then top with the remaining nut roast mix. Finish with a layer of cheese.
- Place into a pre heated oven at 200°C for 35 minutes.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes before serving.
Nut Roast can be made up to 3 days in advance and kept in the fridge. Simply reheat for 10 mins in a moderate oven and serve.
- Add a little salt to the onions to stop them burning and to draw out the moisture.
- Place a clean tea towel over pestle and mortar to stop the nuts from falling out while crushing.
Perfect Christmas Dinner Videos
- Planning your Christmas Meal
- Main Courses
- Side Dishes