Spend a little effort preparing your turkey for cooking and we can dramatically reduce the cooking time from 4 hours to 1 ½ hours and help make our turkey the most succulent ever, packed with flavour and avoiding any dryness of the meat.
You will need to be prepared to work with a knife with a stiff blade (ideally a boning knife) and follow the steps in the video. But don’t worry – it’s really quite straightforward.
If you prefer, your local butcher will be able to prepare your turkey in the same way.
Serves: 8 Prep: 30 mins
- 12lb turkey
- 6 – 8 rashers of streaky bacon
- olive oil
- salt & pepper
- Take off the wings at the joint. You can use these in gravy later.
- Start to cut the skin between the legs and the body of the turkey.
- Pull the leg back with a bit of force to snap out the joint from the socket.
- Cut down the rest of the leg to release it from the body of the turkey.
- Snap off the ‘parsons nose’ leaving just the turkey crown.
- Remove excess skin around the cavity.
- Push hand between skin and breast meat to create cavity for Thyme and Onion butter.
- Push butter under the skin with your hand.
- Roll out rindless streaky bacon between baking parchment to flatten.
- Dress the turkey crown with rashers of bacon.
- Drizzle a little Olive Oil over the turkey legs and season with salt and pepper.
- Your turkey is now ready to be cooked.
You can prepare your turkey on Christmas Eve and refrigerate ready for cooking the next day.
Remember to have a thorough clear down after preparing the turkey and sanitise your work surfaces and equipment well to avoid any cross contamination.
Perfect Christmas Dinner Videos
- Planning your Christmas Meal
- Main Courses
- Side Dishes