Chef Darrin shows you the quality points to look for when selecting your turkey. Working a layer of flavoured butter between the skin and the flesh of the bird will create a succulent meat that is full of flavour and doesn’t taste dry.
Serves: 8 Prep: 30 mins
Thyme & Onion Butter
- 250g unsalted butter
- 15g fresh thyme
- 2 medium sized onions
- 2 cloves garlic
- sea salt
- cracked black pepper
- olive oil
- Soften the butter by leaving it out of the fridge for 30 minutes then mixing with your fingertips until smooth.
- Finely chop the onions and garlic.
- Remove the thyme leaves from the woody stalk and roughly chop.
- Gently cook the onions and garlic in a little olive oil over a low heat until softened then allow to cool.
- Add the cooled onions and garlic to the butter along with the chopped thyme and a good pinch of salt and pepper, mix the butter well until it is well incorporated.
- The butter is now ready to use.
This butter can be made and frozen up to a month in advance of Christmas Day.
Perfect Christmas Dinner Videos
- Planning your Christmas Meal
- Main Courses
- Side Dishes