In the cold winter evenings, there is nothing as festive as the smell of an aromatic mulled wine filling the house. It’s the perfect drink to share with friends, family and neighbours to spread that Christmas cheer.
PREP: 10 min
COOK: 10 min
- 250g Caster sugar
- 6 Cloves (whole)
- 1 Cinnamon stick
- 2 Fresh Bay leaves
- 2 Star Anise
- 1 Whole Nutmeg
- 1 Vanilla Pod
- 1 Lemon
- 1 Lime
- 2 Oranges
- 1 Fresh Nutmeg
- 2 Bottles of Red Wine
- Peel several strips off the rind of the lemon, lime and oranges and place into a large saucepan.
- Cut up the lemon, lime and oranges into large sections and add to the pan.
- Add the sugar, cloves cinnamon sticks, bay leaves, star anise and a few gratings of nutmeg.
- Cut the vanilla pod in half and scrape out the seeds before placing the rest of the pod into the pan.
- Add enough red wine to cover all the ingredients and place on a medium heat stirring occasionally.
- Once all the sugar has dissolved bring back to the boil and reduce until you have a thick syrup. This can be kept in the fridge over night if you are making it in advance.
- When ready to serve, add the remaining red wine to the syrup, mix well and place on a medium heat until the mulled wine have warmed through.
- Serve warm into a glass and enjoy.
- It’s fine to use a cheaper red wine for mulled wine.
Perfect Christmas Dinner Videos
- Planning your Christmas Meal
- Main Courses
- Side Dishes