With all this talk of pancakes, I’m going to break the tradition and enjoy some homemade crumpets for breakfast on shrove tuesday!
What a fantastic way to start the day , smothered in plenty of butter and finished with jam.
Check out this easy to follow recipe to make the perfect crumpet. Once the crumpets are cooked they can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days or in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Makes approx 15-20 crumpets.
- 450g plain flour
- 8g salt
- 7g dried fast action yeast
- 600ml warm water
- Sieve the flour and salt together into a bowl.
- Add the yeast to the warm water and whisk well to dissolve.
- Pour the yeast mix into the flour and whisk until smooth. Leave to double in size for about 20 minutes.
- The mix is now ready to use.
- Pre heat a frying pan on a medium heat,add a knob of butter .
- Place a metal ring in the pan and half fill with the batter.Fry until small holes appear and the top becomes dry. Turn the crumpet over and fry for 1 minute, drain onto kitchen towel. Ready!