The classic risotto is given extra depth of flavour with earthy wild mushrooms and sweet bursts of pear. From our 1 day Italian Cookery Course.
Risotto with Saffron, Wild Mushrooms & Pears
SERVES: 2 Portions as a Starter
- 100g Carnaroli Rice
- 100ml Dry White Wine
- 500ml Vegetable Stock
- 50g Chopped Onion
- 50g Unsalted Butter
- 25g Grated Fresh Parmesan
- Pinch Strand Saffron
- 1 Clove Garlic Finely Chopped
- 100g Fresh Mixed Wild Mushrooms (Washed & Prepared)
- 1 Small Ripe Pear (Peeled, Cored & Evenly Chopped)
- Salt & Pepper
- Toast the saffron in a pan over a medium heat for approx. 2 minutes, add all the stock and allow it to infuse.
- Melt approx. 25g of the butter in a heavy based pan. Reserve 25g of butter for adding at the end.
- Add the chopped onion and cook without colour until softened.
- Add the rice to the onions and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the white wine and cook out stirring all the time until it evaporates.
- Add the saffron stock a little at a time continually stirring allowing the rice to absorb it before adding more (approx 16 minutes).
- The risotto should now have the look of a rice pudding consistency.
- Add the chopped pears, grated Parmesan and the remaining unsalted butter chopped into cubes.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve into a bowl straight away.
- Pan fry the mushrooms in a little butter and garlic and drain onto kitchen paper.
- Serve the mushrooms on top of the risotto with a little extra grated Parmesan on top.